Monday, June 28, 2010

Summer is here.....sigh.... no wheres near done

Well.. while waiting for the sealant to dry on the grout in the kitchen, it was a good time to put some more lights up. These were originally in the master bedroom.. we decided they weren't needed there, and put them in the hall.. I plan on putting only 25 wattt bulbs in them, to make them night-lights.. we have the bright recessed lights in the hall.. but this can be left on at night to travel back and forth to the bathroom. There is a light switch for them between the kids rooms.

Here they are all mounted... I like em.. and I got to keep some more original from the house.. a little old, a little new!

Here is the kitchen floor.. it's all grouted, and all the grout was sealed! Hopefully, it will make it easier to maintain. When we purchased these tiles over a year ago, we paid $.77 each.. geesh, if they don't go for $.56 each now! Grrrr oh well.. they aren't the most expensive to begin with, but I think they look nice.. and it isn't linoleum! (regular 12 x 12 inch tiles run around $2.49 each.)

What I had no pics of yet, were the cabinets.. they got very dusty waiting to be installed.. so he spent some time cleaning them up so they can be painted.. trying to get them all done so he can get them put up.

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Busy Weekend

First a look at the rewired old ceiling light fixture.. it isn't spectacular, but it's original to the house, so we kept it, and it fit just nicely at the top of the stairs. It had no lens cover, so we made one out of a piece of plastic for a recessed light... it does the job, and obscures the light bulbs from view. The Frame got a good clean, and repaint.. and all the colored glass was thoroughly cleaned and reinstalled. All the wiring and sockets were replaced and rewired..

Now just a few different views of the kitchen floor.. both surfaces were grouted.. they still need a bit of a clean-up.. was just too much in so little time.. but it looks real nice. The grout for the beige tiles, was supposed to be almond, yet it looks white.. not sure if another wash will brighten it up bit more. The slate tiles need to be polished off to remove residue in the cracks and seams.. then they have to be sealed. All photos are clickable to enlarge them!

the open rectangle in the center of the floor is going to be under the island.. it's for the drain and water pipes...
Well, that was about all that was done this weekend, except the lawn was mowed..